Ask Abby

First Time Visitors

F04: Contact computer broken into

QUESTION: Who do I contact if I think my computer has been broken into?

ANSWER: If you have any evidence that your credit card number(s) or your identity has been in any way jeopardized, call the police and file a report (they may want to see the computer) and the call Equifax: 1-800-525-6285, Experian: 1-888-397-3742, and Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289 to notify them of possible fraud on your credit cards, as well as Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271. Bring your computer to a technical support person and have them go over the computer to see what evidence of intrusion they can find. While they have your computer, be sure to have them take the necessary steps to make it as secure as possible.